clomid for cats, bactrim for cats, prilosec for cats, http://www.cmbm.org, www.cmbm.org, www.gwopa.org, buy levothyroxine online, www.gwopa.org, www.gwopa.org, price of fluconazole online, orlistat online

Fitness Goal #2: Cycle Oregon

Fitness Goal #2: Cycle Oregon

by macdaddy on March 25, 2008 · 11 comments

Want to see what I’ll be doing at the end of the summer?

From Septemeber 6th to September 13th, I’ll be joining 2,000 other cyclists for Cycle Oregon, a week-long tour of rural Oregon. For years — for over a decade — I’ve wanted to do this. This year I’m going to. This is the second of my major goals. (The first goal is to finish the Body for Life program, and the third is to complete the Portland Marathon.)

I wanted to embed video from this Oregon Public Broadcasting production, but it’s just not possible. I encourage you to watch those ten minutes, though. They do a great job of capturing two things:

1. What the late summer feels like in rural Oregon.
  2. What it’s like to bike through the Oregon countryside.

Although I can’t share the OPB video, I can post this slide show created by one of last year’s participants:

But that’s last year. Last year I was fat. This year, I won’t be. This year I’ll be fit and ready for the 600+ mile journey. Here’s the unveiling of the route for this year’s ride:

Cycle Oregon Kick-Off 2008, part one

Cycle Oregon Kick-Off 2008, part two

Looks awesome, doesn’t it? This is the territory in which I spent much time selling insurance door-to-door when I was fresh out of college. That was a terrible experience. This ride will be entirely different.

Though I’m not officially traveling with anyone, my friends Matt, Paul, and Susan will be there. If you’re planning to do Cycle Oregon, let me know. (And join me and Matt in the Cycle Oregon group at We Endure.)

1 brad March 25, 2008 at 8:48 am

Wow, and I’m impressed that the ride is sold out already! Six hundred miles is a lot of biking, even in a week; you’ll have a lot of training to do. I find the most difficult thing about long rides is not pain in my legs but my butt. I got a good Brooks hard leather saddle last year, which despite the initial pain during the break-in period turns out to be much more comfortable in the long run than the standard bike seats I’ve used in the past, because the saddle shapes to your body over time. I do use padded bike shorts, of course.

I’m taking my first-ever trip to Oregon the last week of August; my family’s having a reunion up in Sunriver, which sounds like a swanky golf resort to me (not my cup of tea) but I’m assured by friends that it’s a lovely area with lots of good places to hike, bike, and swim. The house we’re renting comes with seven bikes, so I’m looking forward to getting some riding in.

2 Red March 25, 2008 at 9:14 am

Even when I was biking to work, that was only 100 miles a week, and in 10 mile bursts.

Good luck training for that and I hope to see video of you there.

3 Philip March 25, 2008 at 9:42 am

Wow… 600 miles, I did an MS150 ride last year of 180 miles, only 2 days, and I think I didn’t sit on the saddle much for the first 30 minutes the second day, OUCH!

The best thing about big rides is you can draft with other people and can cruise way easier/faster than you ever could on your own. Just make sure to learn some of the pointers on group riding before you jump right into it.

BTW, you have inspired me to get back into shape, using a home gym(bowflex) and jogging/cycling. Hopefully I can match some of your efforts, a marathon would be incredible.

Keep up the good work!

4 Eric Nagel March 25, 2008 at 9:49 am

“I wanted to embed video from this Oregon Public Broadcasting production, but itÂ’s just not possible”

I accept your challenge!

Fetched the video, uploaded to YouTube, now you can use the embed code found on:

I watched a few seconds, but then my legs started to hurt as I thought about the study I’m participating in at the University of Buffalo

5 monica March 25, 2008 at 9:48 pm

JD, this is wonderful news! 600 miles is a LOT to cover in a week, and you’re going to rock it. Who knows, this could spark a life long love of cycle touring. Hope so. ;-)

6 Philip March 26, 2008 at 4:14 am

I have not heard you mention yet, are you getting Kris to join you on any of these challenges you have set forth, or are you going at it alone?

Having someone with you makes everyone try harder I believe.

7 jt in the army March 30, 2008 at 4:46 am

Too bad it’s sold out. I was going to do RAGBRAI this year, but in mid-May I am moving to Portland, so that eliminates participating.

8 Soapdish March 30, 2008 at 7:10 pm

It is indeed quite beautiful and I am insanely jealous of that (how far could Cycle New Jersey go and not see a major highway?).

However, I must impress once again that this may not be the smartest thing in the world to be doing a month before you plan on running the Portland Marathon.

If I’m wrong please let me know, but I would strongly suggest consulting some fitness professionals about this. Putting off the marathon by a month or so might make a huge difference between finishing strong, just finishing, or crash-and-burning.

9 bethh March 31, 2008 at 2:16 pm

whoo! I’m doing Cycle Oregon. I’ll go look for you guys on We Endure.

10 Cynthia April 1, 2008 at 3:37 pm

You’ll be in beautiful country! Sounds wonderful!

Joseph is not that far from where I live… haven’t actually been over yet, but as the weather clears up, hubby and I may drive over and check it out. We see the Blue Mountains over in the distance, but haven’t actually been that direction yet.