anastrozole arimidex without prescription, buy cephalexin online, price of clomiphene online, www.gwopa.org#xenical, Aciphex online without prescription, fluconazole online

The Skinny On “Fat Free” Half And Half

The Skinny On “Fat Free” Half And Half

by macdaddy on August 27, 2008 · 52 comments

On our vacation last week, Pam and I were responsible for planning, purchasing, and cooking the food.  OK, Pam planned and did a lot of the cooking, but I did make the mega shopping trip and cook my fair share.  My mother in law was responsible for bringing all of the beverages for the trip–including the all important morning cup of joe.

Coffee is very important to me.  I’m not picky about what I drink, how it’s made, or even how it tastes.  But I love a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning.  So my mother in law did a great job, and she even brought half and half and sugar for us;  like I said, I’m not a coffee purist.

One morning, as I was mixing my coffee, I actually read the label on the half and half.  It read “Fat Free Half and Half!”  How can half and half, which is supposed to be half cream and half milk, be fat free?  I did a little reading and here’s what I came up with.

First I wanted to brush up on my knowledge of the various dairy based creamers:

Whipping Cream–Sometimes we have this laying around the kitchen for various cooking purposes.  When we do, I love to add it to my coffee.  But at 30-36% fat, the calories add up fast and I’m not so sure they’re worth it.

Half and Half–This is the stuff most often used in coffee in the US.  It’s very good in coffee, but obviously not as good as full cream.  At 10-16% fat, it’s a pretty good compromise between total creamy blissfulness and functional coffee drinking

Whole Milk–We always have this stuff in our house because our son is under 2 and still drinks it.  At slightly less than 4% fat, it’s not a very effective creamer, but it’s a lot healthier than any of the above options.

So, what exactly is “fat free” half and half.  Here’s the top 5 on the list of ingredients:

• nonfat milk
  • milk
  • corn syrup solids
  • Artificial color
  • Sugar

There was recently a question on Ask Metafilter about this stuff and of all the answers, the one that summed it up best was that it looks like fat free half and half is a mixture of nonfat milk, nondairy coffee creamer, and thickening agents.

While the taste of the stuff is similar to regular half and half, I’m not so sure I want to be adding those extra artificial ingredients to my coffee every morning.  In fact, Pam recently read an article that suggested if you really want to lose weight, you should avoid coffee creamers all together and stick to milk.  Those extra calories really add up over the course of a year.  And since we have whole milk laying around, I think I’ll be switching to that for the little bit of creaminess that I need in my coffee.

1 Paul August 27, 2008 at 11:48 am

Being a Brit who lives in the US, I never understood creamer in coffee – I’ve always had milk in mine, and think the taste of creamer is a bit gross.

When I started cutting my weight down, I switched to non fat milk whenever possible – I barely taste the difference in my morning coffee. Even at Dunkin Donuts, I get skimmed milk in my normal and iced coffee now.

2 Gooniette August 27, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Vanilla flavored organic soy milk works for me. They have light versions of it too.

3 Lauren Muney - fitness and wellness coach August 27, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Anything that says “fat free” will have thickening agents which will (for better effect or for worse effect) simulate the texture of the fatted foods it is faking. Normally, it is worse effect.

I tell clients and friends to simply use the “real fatted product”, and go for the most pure product possible (the least ingredients, and the most pure ingredients) and just use a small bit. A slight dollop of real half and half isn’t that many calories and it won’t gum up your body like powdered creamer or ‘fat-free whatever’. I even suggest people use whole milk cottage cheese and yogurts – read the ingredients and you’ll see why.

The problem is not the dash of [whole] half-and-half to cream-up your coffee… it’s that most people who indulge this may also add extra other things to their meals… bigger portions, more treats, etc. Just be aware of using small bits of good-quality things, and watch your portion sizes elsewhere.

4 Mark M. September 24, 2011 at 7:07 am

Right on, Lauren. I couldn’t agree more. Furthermore, I’m sick of having to spend so much time staring at products and scanning every side of the package looking for the tiny print that says my so called Half and Half is fat free or that my seltzer water is contaminated with artificial sweeteners. Looking at the people walking around the stores, it is painfully obvious that none of this crap is working, anyway!

5 DR August 27, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Why drink cream in my coffee when I can get even more corn syrup with ‘diet’ half and half?

Be still my overworked pancreas.

6 Greenman2001 August 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Mac,

It sounds like you’re of the school of thought that says that fat is bad, so that foods with less “fat” are better for you than foods with more “fat”.

Keep in mind, as you go down this path, that the rise in obesity in the US has been concurrent with the ascendence of the “fat is bad” philosophy and the proliferation of “low fat” foods.

It also sounds like the rule of thumb you’re using is that high fat foods are “bad” because they have more calories per unit. Let’s take a closer look at this.

Half and half has 315 calories per cup, whole milk has 150 (heavy whipping cream has 820). But you don’t put a cup of cream in your coffee. Let’s say you put 2 tablespoons in. A 2 tbs serving of Half and Half has 40 calories, milk has 20 (whipping cream has 160). You’re making a 20 calorie distinction, in the middle of a 2400 calorie day.

I think that this approach to dieting and healthy eating is so fraught with fear and discomfort for people that it simply isn’t worth it. I know that choosing milk over Half and Half in your coffee feels like a victory, feels like one is “making healthy choices,” but I think it undermines long-term, sustainable fitness. In this country, we take pride in choosing milk over Half and Half then help ourselves to a slice of cheesecake in celebration.

You yourself, Mac, know that when you gain weight it’s not because of choices like this, it’s because of the plate of leftovers you eat in one sitting when you’re stressed because of your responsibilities as a stay-at-home Dad, or the week of high calorie processed foods you eat for dinner because you don’t have time to cook.

I notice you tagged this post “Silliness,” so I’m guessing you feel much the same way I do. But I’ll tell you: given the damage that stress does to your fitness program, I think you’d be better off hiring someone to cook dinner for your family once or twice a week so that you can play with your kids instead of pulling your hair out. I wouldn’t give milk vs. Half and Half a moment’s thought.

7 Pam August 27, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Do you really just “love a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning” or is it more like you are totally addicted to caffeine??! Just wondering. ;)

8 Marshmallow August 27, 2008 at 4:14 pm

I’m with Paul, I have always been puzzled by the ‘cream in your coffee’ phenomenon. I have milk in my coffee, and not just milk, nonfat milk. Because of the taste. For realz.

9 Kym August 27, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I’ve recently switched to drinking whole raw milk, and though I don’t make coffee at home (all the free coffee I want at work!), I would highly recommend it as a coffee add-in. It tastes very much like cream, very smooth, and not to mention it is highly effective at keeping me satiated the better part of the day vs the regular skim milk I used to drink. People say that it is not as thick as whole pasteurized milk, making it easier to drink on its own.

I like knowing that what I’m drinking doesn’t have anything added back in to fix the consistency after having removed the fat (powdered milk is added back into low-fat and non-fat milk to achieve this).

I’m in California and here I can just go to the store to buy it, but unfortunately in Oregon you would have to get it from a farm.

10 plonkee August 28, 2008 at 1:00 am

Yet another milk person here. I’m in the UK and I think that we have milk because traditionally people drank tea (with milk and sugar) more than coffee. In fact, the default choice is semi-skimmed milk (1.5%-1.8% fat) although some people have skimmed (<1% fat). Whole milk is for small children and old people ;) .

11 Chris August 28, 2008 at 6:30 am

My favorite is skim milk. It cools the coffee down a little and doesn’t alter the coffee flavor all too much. At work, I sometimes use half and half and it’s all I can taste. As for tea, I prefer no milk, just sugar.

12 minimal.mammal August 28, 2008 at 6:52 am

One thing I picked up from my dad was how to enjoy coffee. He was a Marine, so he never used cream or sugar. I always admired him and drank my coffee the same. Now, I can’t stand anything in it and am grateful for that. Coffee is a beverage I can enjoy without indulgence or worry. Also, it’s a lot cheaper if I ever go into a coffee shop for a quick cup. Cheap with few calories make it one one of my favorite simplicities in life.

13 Sheamus August 28, 2008 at 7:15 am

I drink soy milk nowadays – well, I add it to my cereal, which is the only time I ‘take’ milk – but if you switch to dairy skim milk and stay with it, after a while full-fat milk seems completely gross. It’s one thing to put it in your coffee, but if you ever drink milk skimmed gets a lot colder than full-fat, for obvious reasons (lack of fat), and after a while that’s something you’ll look forward to.

How anyone can bear cream in their coffee is beyond me. Disgusting. I take my coffee black, as it is, but the thought of cream in there turns my stomach. Why not go the whole hog and throw some butter in? ;)

In all seriousness, switching from full fat milk to skimmed can save you a ton of calories a week, depending on how often you have hot beverages and cereal. I have to admit I’m surprised to see it even mentioned as an option on this blog!

14 Brigid August 28, 2008 at 7:19 am

Come on! Be a man – drink it black;-)

15 Sheamus August 28, 2008 at 7:20 am

“Do you really just “love a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning” or is it more like you are totally addicted to caffeine??! Just wondering.”

All respect, but I hate this sort of attitude. If you give up coffee you might as well give up on life.

1-2 cups of coffee in the morning does nobody any harm. Most studies show that coffee before workouts is of great benefit. Do most people ‘need’ that morning fix? I’m sure they do, but no more so than most people need certain other foods regularly in their diets.

If you drink 1-2 pots of coffee per day, then sure, you may well have a problem. But better that than being the sort of person who feels happy to wake up to herbal tea or a mug of hot water with lemon in it. That’s no kind of life at all.

Coffee rules. I know it, you know it, we *all* know it! ;)

16 Kimberly August 28, 2008 at 8:16 am

Even whipping cream has extra stuff in it to make it whip up better. I love half-and-half. I used it last Thanksgiving in the mashed potatoes because they don’t sell heavy cream of the non-whipping variety in the regular grocery store.

17 LeahB August 28, 2008 at 9:40 am

I drink my hot coffee with milk only – no sweeteners. The fat in the milk works with the acid in coffee to make it oh-so-yummy! I’ve been through this same ordeal – I’m a fan of half-and-half, but I couldn’t have more than one serving a day. Booo. And skim milk and soy milk is atrocious in coffee (my opinion, sorry to those who enjoy it).

My solution was to buy a stove-top milk steamer and foam up a bit of 2% or whole milk. This adds to the “creaminess” factor, while lowering the fat and calories! Plus you can totally make yummy cappuccinos et. al. for guests and look like a freakin’ awesome barista.

18 Denise August 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I use fat free half-and-half in my coffee every morning and I’ve lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks. But I only use it when I am actually counting calories.

19 deepali August 28, 2008 at 4:02 pm

You heathens – drink it black! :)

Unless it’s a latte. Then you need a strong espresso and full fat milk. Yum.

20 Pam August 28, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Sheamus – I am just giving my hubby a hard time. I am not against coffee (or caffeine for that matter) at all. Some days when I get up early to run, a big cup of coffee is all that keeps me awake at work. But I do think coffee is something Mac would be unable to go without. This is itself is not a bad thing, but Mac doesn’t drink it black (nor do I) and after a couple of cups each morning, that’s a lot of extra fat and sugar. Coffee in our house has become more than just an indulgence, it is a source of too many empty calories. By the time we doctor our coffee up we are adding about 60 calories of just fat and sugar per cup. That could be 120 or more calories each day. While the coffee (and caffeine) in one or two cups a day may not do anybody any harm, the fat and sugar just might, which is why I think mac’s caffeine addiction is ultimately hurting him in his fitness goals.

21 Tiffany August 29, 2008 at 7:47 am

I donÂ’t normally have dairy in my house because I can not eat/drink it. But IÂ’m having house guest this weekend and one of them is a BIG coffee drinker. I know she uses half and half so I picked up a pint. Standing in the market, I debated getting her the fat free, but decided against it, based on your post.

22 macdaddy August 29, 2008 at 8:05 am

greenman: I’m not of the opinion that fat is bad. In fact, when I’m counting my calories, I usually just look at the total numbers of calories, while trying to maximize protein and eat fewer white carbs.

I don’t usually pay attention to fats. I do try to eat good fats such as oil from fish and olives and stay away from the “bad fats.” You need to remember that I didn’t purchase the fat free half and half and that seeing it in the fridge was what inspired this post. I wouldn’t ever purchase it.

Also, your math above is correct–for a single cup of coffee. But, Sometimes I have 3 cups per morning while getting ready for the day. At 60 calories/morning, that’s 420 calories/week. That turns into about 1 extra pound’s worth of calories every nine weeks, right? Is it still trivial? I’m not saying I want to eliminate half and half, I’m just saying even small amounts of calories add up over the long term.

23 Karen August 29, 2008 at 9:33 am

Well I am a very bad girl!!!! I drink my coffee with Bailey’s Irish Cream. But I don’t like the taste of coffee and only drink it on the weekends for a treat. I drink H2O all day long.

24 Sheamus August 29, 2008 at 11:12 am

@ Pat – I was thinking about my comment today and feared it may have come over as a little rude. Apologies if it did.

Your comment illustrates my point, though – I’m a big believer in having regular treats to keep you sane but if you drink coffee regularly (or any hot beverage) you really need to take it without full-fat dairy or sugar. I have mine black with sweetener. I realise coffee with skimmed milk is not as good as cream, in Mac’s eyes, but those calories add up very quickly. It has nothing to do with Mac’s ‘caffeine addiction’ – coffee is a zero calorie drink. It’s the other stuff I think he’s addicted too, and that’s where your ‘problems’ are. :)

@ Karen – I’m not surprised you save it for the weekends. Coffee with Baileys in the morning = prison!

25 Sheamus August 29, 2008 at 11:15 am

Darn, darn, darn. That should read, of course, ‘@ Pam’, and also ‘addicted to’, not too.

My kingdom for an edit button! :D

26 elisabeth August 29, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I only drink tea, and don’t use milk in it, but I do like honey in my tea. Recently, I went from two teaspoons to one — haven’t noticed any weight loss, but my honey jars last longer which, with the price of honey, is a good thing. In the summer, half the time I drink (brewed) ice tea, and find that it doesn’t need any sweetner, but I’m still not seeing any weight loss. I think that my body keeps adapting to fewer calories in….

27 Pam August 29, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Sheamus- you are right on. Treats should not be eliminated entirely – now that’s when you ought to give up on life. But three cups a day is no longer a special treat!

You are also right about the caffeine. I don’t care how much caffeine he gets, or if he is ‘addicted’, because it is not the caffeine that I see as a problem but everything else. And it is not even that I see the cream and sugar as “bad,” but just some unnecessary calories for a guy who is trying to lose weight.

28 Greenman2001 August 30, 2008 at 9:02 am

Mac, yes, I consider even 60 calories a day to be trivial. You — Mac — don’t gain weight because of a series of 20 calorie decisions you make. You’ve been very clear — eloquent, even — in this blog in describing the patterns that lead you to gain weight. There are two factors: stress and boredom. When you encounter these factors, you overeat. You’ve found one tool — writing down what you eat and counting calories using an online tool — that is extremely effective in keeping your calorie intake to within the limits you set for yourself. There’s something about writing it down that enables you to pay attention and “make healthy choices.”

As a stay-at-home Dad, you are marinating in stress and boredom. In this environment, 20 calorie decisions may feel empowering, but they are distractions — perhaps effective, although that doesn’t seem to be the case given your recent 2 lb weight gain — from the contextual factors and forces that drive your eating habits. Just as it was impossible for JD to begin exercising while working at the box factory, you have got to change the context — the stress and boredom you battle every day — if you are to manage your weight, providing you’re not able to use the one tool that’s proven to be most effective.

It may be that you’re not going to be able to really get control of this until your kids are in school.

But I think it’s possible to tackle these issues right where you are by paying attention to those triggers of stress and boredom and making lifestyle changes around those specific triggers.

One of the problems with the subject of coffee and dieting is that it’s an extremely important part of most people’s lives. Caffeine is both addictive and has enormous benefits in terms of attention and performance. Saying to people in effect, “to lose weight you have to make this really important thing less enjoyable,” is a losing proposition and should be avoided at all costs.

29 Sheamus August 30, 2008 at 3:51 pm

That’s the thing, pretty much spot on. None of this stuff is ‘bad’ or certainly ‘evil’. Sugar is just a little white rock that makes other things taste better. In and of itself it’s completely harmless.

I don’t like breaking things down into ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods, but if you want to lose weight, you have to make some choices about exactly what you need, and be prepared to cut back on a lot of what you want.

30 joe c September 1, 2008 at 2:22 pm

I’ve never understood why anyone would get skim milk rather than whole in their coffee. The amount of fat you get is practically negligible. Splurge and get some whole, or drink your java black.

31 Fat Girl Shrinking September 2, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I like a lot of cream in my coffee. But, I have switched to half coffee and half fat free milk (back when I could drink milk, now its soy milk.) You get your cup of coffee, you get a cup of milk, and its all good :-)

Granted, even when I did use cream, my coffee was more light brown than dark, and I like a lot of milk in my coffee.

32 Brigid September 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm

We have a cappucino machine at home, so we make our own lattes. Fat-free milk actually works best for these—it makes a more stable foam than whole milk—and it’s still creamy enough for me. You might test that out for yourself next time you get coffee at a coffee shop.

At work, though, we only have a regular coffee maker, and nothing leaner than half-and-half will do.

33 Brigid September 3, 2008 at 7:04 am

@ Brigid

Wow! Another Brigid. We may need to make a distinction between the black-coffee drinking Brigid (me) and the half-n-half drinking one:-)

I agree with you on the fat-free lattes. Good foam – I still think it tastes a bit flat so I go with 1%. Most coffee shops can make up a mix of 2% and fat-free if 1% isn’t on hand. I don’t ask if it’s busy though – nothing more irritaing than people ordering drinks with a paragraph of instructions:-)

Soy lattes aren’t bad either. You just have to ask if they use regular or vanilla flavored since vanilla soy adds more calories. Regular soy milk seems to have a natural sweetness to it anyways. I believe soy milk also has a tad more protein.

Cheers!

34 Getz September 3, 2008 at 9:15 am

This is something I have actually thought a good bit about lately. I used to hate coffee, but then started drinking it in college for the caffine. Then it grew on me so I drank it a little more. Now, I work in an office with the standard office coffee supply in the kitchen and I have really taken to the coffee culture, plus w/o the caffine, which I readily admit addiction(which I have some caffine addiction issues but thats neither her nor there). I started out with some milk, then started mixing in a little milk and a little cappacino at sheetz, now I buy the bottled flavored creamers(dulche de leche…be still my heart). I noticed that these have anywhere from 30 to 50 calories per serving. I am not sure if I use a serving or more, as I just pour a big shot in my 16oz travel cup. I am up to two cups a day, sometimes 3, rarely more. When I was counting calories, and must return to doing, I didn’t count the creamer because I figured it was trivial, but I drink alot of it, so its not so trivial. I love the flavored coffee, but I realize that losing weight does mean depriving yourself of many, many, many, many…many, things. I have ab0ut a 1/3 a cup black decaf(lousy unleaded), and I’m going to try and choke it down without gagging all over my office. Maybe I could get used to it enough to tolerate it. Or, maybe I’ll have to go back to skim the majority of the time.

35 Getz September 3, 2008 at 9:16 am

I meant to say in the above post, w/o the caffine, I would spiral into a bleak nothingness and die.

36 Austin November 30, 2008 at 6:31 am

I am trying to start drinking my coffee black because I want to avoid any weight gain. It just tatses so nasty. Will coffee creamer really cause weight gain?

37 Becky February 4, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I had an epiphany the moment I actually read the carton label. All this time I thought I was being good, and even paying more for it, and it has corn syrup. If it sounds too good to be true….I am a “polluted” coffee drinker. I find the milk/half&half/flavored creamer/soy addition balances the acidity of the coffee. It is smoother to drink. I do, however, drink my tea black/green/white, or put more simply unpolluted. It’s a compromise! You can argue the calories add up or they are negligible. I believe it all depends on where you like to spend your indulgences. I personally would prefer a nice mug of steamy, creamy, and smooth coffee in the morning. It makes the morning worth greeting and the exercise routine more tolerable. Anything that improves my appetite for exertion must be ruled beneficial.

38 John February 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I live my my great grandfather’s credo. When his future son-in-law came to him to ask for his permission to marry his daughter, the fellow qualified it by saying he didn’t smoke, drink or use foul language. My GGF said, “Then what the h..l are you living for?”

Drink your coffee the way you like and forget what everyone else thinks. Life is too short.

39 Christa March 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm

You are perfectly right and it drives me crazy too what they do to our food . Half and half should be just that , half cream half milk ! What they say it is never is and most people don’t have the vagest idea what is what . It starts with ‘ low fat’ or ‘fat free’ cream or sour cream . There is no such thing . Cream is cream ! it is the fatty part of the milk , that used to float to the top in milk bottles . Now whith homogenisation it does not do it anymore . So fat free cream is fat free milk ! !

Buttermilk : you can buy it low fat or fat free etc. There is no fat in real buttermilk because it is (supposed to be ) what is left of the cream after the butter has been extracted ! I don’t know whether it still works with what we can buy , but if you put cream in a bottle , not more than 2/3 full , and close and shake the bottle long enough you should get butter and buttermilk ! I guess I could go on forever because it just irks me what we get offered . It never is what they say it is !

40 Jo July 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Just a reminder, that milk has a ton of sugar in it, while cream does not.

41 Greg May 21, 2011 at 7:00 am

It’s a little annoying when people say they “just don’t understand” x or y about people or a group of people. In this case some people just don’t understand why americans put half and half in thoeir coffee. Well here’s a news flash for you… it’s becasue we think it tastes good! Our food preferences are largely based on what we grew up with. Not a lot to understand here. I’m on a diet now and two tablespoons of half and half in my coffee is not something I chose to eliminate.

42 Donnie June 4, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I can’t resist addressing this post. I drink a good deal of coffee every day. (Not an addiction, but more a habit, probably somewhat like my dog peeing on the same rock every time he goes out. ) And, I love cream, H&H, Coffeemate, in my coffee. Not milk, though. Yuk! But having gone down the list of what’s bad about all of it, am taking advantage of time on a weight-loss program to stop using it. This is day 10 of doing it black, and I still-want-the-white-stuff. I’m not giving up, though, and I’m for sure not going back to the fake stuff.

43 Amy September 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I am on thyroid medicine, so I cannot have any milk in the morning. I am using Mocha Mix. I still am putting on weight and exercising, mostly the weight is right around my middle and this has happened in the last year , it is so frustrating, my diet is very good-

44 Lisa January 7, 2012 at 8:39 am

Well, I think there is no skim milk in nature. Skim, fat free, reduce fat milk is all created by people. I am 100% for whole milk and full fat products – I mean the natural unprocessed fat . We need natural fat to have better metabolism. Fat Free products actually makes you fat.

45 Susan April 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm

FYI, whole milk is not 4% fat, it is 50% fat – plenty enough cream for your coffee.

46 anne April 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Actually a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If you eat too many, you gain, burn more than you eat, lose. It has nothing to do with natural vs. diet vs. fat free vs. sugar free. I’ve lost 25 lbs. and kept it off by eating a lot of low and non-fat dairy for the protein, as I don’t eat red meat or poultry (in addition to a diet high in veggies/fruits/some whole grains). The calcium is something we need more of. Eating full-fat dairy means we can’t eat much of it, therefore we get less protein and calcium. I think it’s a nice idea to drink milk from a cow, but I’d be a cow if I did that everyday! And obviously it’d be ok if I only used 1 tbsp on coffee, but I rely on non-fat dairy as an important part of my diet. The trend in research now is that added sugar is more of an issue with heart disease, obesity and diabetes nowadays. I still say, “moderation” in everything though and eat as much whole foods (veggies, fruit, lean meats and dairy, and whole grains) as you can. I’m all for caffeine – green tea, black eat. (I believe in the research regarding the health benefits of coffee/tea/caffeine). I’m 41, an ultra runner and never get sick. Half & Half is so gross though – seems to be a thing my parents and grandparents had, but I’ve tried it and it’s really weird tasting. Bizarre they’d make it fat-free.

47 Greg Field July 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm

People have become virtually hysterical these days when it comes to taking about so called “artificial ingredients” . Refined sugar is “artificial” because it doesn’t occur in that form naturally. Corn syrup solids? It’s sugar – fructose – found in apples, oranges, all kinds of fruit. Our mothers all used to use Karo syrup for cooking, ti’s corn syrup. Half and half is not something you drink glasses of anyway regardless of what’s in it. I’ve been using it in my coffee since it was first introduced, I’ve used it in baking and cooking, and I’m as healthy as an ox at age 55, resting blood pressure 116 over 68 without any medication. As to diet or weight loss, it’s ridiculous to look at such insignificant details as the calorie content of 2 tbsp of fat free half and half vs the same amount of milk for your coffee. Here’s the big weight loss miracle secret: Change the way you think and incorporate regular exercise and healthy diet with moderate portions, cut out the greasy starchy foods and high sugar soft drinks. You can get wonderful tasting sodas made with “natural” fruit flavors, sweetened with aspartame (read the reputable studies before you freak out over that) or sucralose at every supermarket chain, wal mart, and CVS. It’s a clear soda in a clear bottle, all made by the same supplier, it is NOT flavored seltzer, it has a generous amount of flavor without being overly sweet. Walmart’s is called clear american

48 jerry December 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm

A big item missing from this blog is the benefit/vs. portion element. One plastic creamer, 3/8 of an ounce, does a lot for the richness of your coffee. Less than 15 calories. Two of them, for a very rich cream boost, 29 calories. 2 oz of whole milk, not an uncommon amount, adds about 36 calories. Way more in a latte. The coffee stand in our town has “free pour” half and half, in quart containers, so it is easy to pour 2 oz of half and half, 78 calories. Are you drinking for the coffee or the cream?
The dominant coffee flavoring effect of a lot of milk is the lactose, a sugar with low sweetening power. That’s why the corn syrup replaces the fat in “fat free” half & half. so the 1/2 & half must mean half lactose, half corn syrup

49 Myra Bamberger February 15, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I raise dairy goats. When I put milk in my coffee, tea, cocoa, or cereal – I use Goat’s milk. My herd averages a little over 3.5% butterfat. At times I have measured the amount of milk I use in a day – and it normally does not exceed 1 cup. So I’ll stick to my goats’ milk except for the 1 or 2 months in the winter that I have to actually ‘buy’ milk!