http://www.qatarhappening.com, buy doxycycline online , buy valtrex online, www.gwopa.org, terbinafine lamisil without prescription, cheap Cafergot online

40 Miles??? What The Hell Did I Get Myself Into?

40 Miles??? What The Hell Did I Get Myself Into?

by macdaddy on March 5, 2012 · 19 comments

Yesterday, I ran 20 miles to cap off a 45 mile week. 45 miles is a lot; not a ton, but it’s a lot for me. I also crossfitted 3X so it was definitely not an easy week of training for me.

But yesterday’s 20 miles was awful! My legs felt heavy, my breathing was labored, and my heart rate was sky high and I have no idea why. The first 10 miles of the run were pretty hilly and I knew this before I started. The plan was for the day was to start out with an easy effort and then pick it up a bit after the hills were over.

We managed to do this, but effort to pick up the pace was way more difficult than I wanted it to be. First 10 miles average 9:50 pace and the total 20 miles averaged 9:40 pace which means that the second 10 miles was 9:30 pace. 9:30 pace on flat land should feel EASY to me, but it felt almost impossible.

Needless to say, I’m a little bit discouraged after yesterday’s run. I’m very worried about my 40 mile run that’s rapidly approaching (6 weeks away). I’m totally questioning my training plan. Am I running enough? Am I running hard enough? Should I crossfit more? Should I crossfit less?

I’m hoping that I’m just tired and that with a little bit of rest I’ll bounce back stronger. If not, it’s gonna be a long, slow, painful 40 miles on April 15th.

1 olga March 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

Stop analyzing, it’s just one run in an ocean of so many. You can’t have PR’s every time you get out there (even if it’s a nice thought). You’ll get to your 40, and you’ll be ready and fueled. Be assured!
olga recently posted..Stories of the week.

2 Gloria March 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

I agree. It’s only one run. How about we try again? Let’s go out to MacDonald forest and do a long run out. It’ll simulate your upcoming race.

3 Andy March 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

You know I say run less :) but I am biased.
Andy recently posted..Workout of the Day: Sunday 3-4-2012

4 Jenni March 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Doesn’t everyone feel like this at this point in their training? I know I do. Breathe deep, Gloria and Olga are right. You will be fine. It’s just a bad day. (-:

5 jason@CheshireFitness March 13, 2012 at 2:43 am

Hey good blog, just keep your head up and battle through it. As a personal trainer im sure its just ‘one of those days’ were your body is tired and slacking. We all have them. Go out there and smash your next run. Thanks for sharing.

6 Dan March 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

Congrats on getting the 45 miles this week. What kind of shoes are you running in?

7 Ross McCabe III April 3, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m not at the point of fitness to even consider a 40 mile run. But, I’ve read a book recently titled, Slow Burn, by an ultramarathoner that described how he learned to go faster over very long distances. Have you considered using intervals of varying speeds?

8 olga April 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

So?

9 Gary Legard April 25, 2012 at 7:57 am

Little bit late coming across this, but I have to agree with Olga and Gloria! Its too easy to get down about a bad run, especially when you have pressure with the race coming up!

Fingers crossed the training is going well.

- Gary

10 Lisa April 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

No posts in almost two months? What up?

11 Kevin June 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

Wow – nothing in almost 4 months? Is this blog still alive? I used to like it, it’d be a shame if it’s been abandoned!

12 macdaddy January 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Kevin, I’m coming back.

13 Matt June 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

You overtrained. Those 3 crossfit routines stick to you longer than you might think. Depending on age and other variables, your body requires a certain amount of time to recover and re-build all the damage that any given type of training did. If you’re not an elite level athelete with a compliment of coaches, trainers, and therapists, you have to keep your increase of activities on a low slope with periods of rest or very low activity. If you have the support of an elite level athelete, suck it up buttercup and listen to them.

14 Trisha July 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

Please Mac, come back. We miss you. I need the inspiration to get fit slowly and loose weight slowly.

-Trish

15 macdaddy January 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I’m coming back Trish! Very soon!

16 John-Michael July 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I just ran two miles and about died…….HOW DO YOU RUN 5, LET ALONE 40?

17 Donna from Personal Trainer October 2, 2012 at 6:56 am

Wow! I didn’t think I could get myself to run that far. I’m very impressed! you must have been very healthy!
Donna from Personal Trainer recently posted..Raw Beet Salad Recipe with Jicama

18 Flora October 15, 2012 at 4:05 am

Hey nice blog. Keep running.. :)
Flora recently posted..Exercise for Women

19 Rabia BJ November 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Macdaddy, congratulations, the thought running that length makes my legs wobble. You must be great at marathons. I notice this posted a while back. Are you still running?